Friday, June 20, 2008

A day in the life of a Chicken Farmer!

I am a little late in posting this but here is Cassidy with the first egg we got. We got this from one of our Chicken that has two names - Old Faithful (since she laid the first egg and has every day since) as well as Ceruso (from the "Water Horse"). When you open the coop, and she is laying, she makes the same sound as the Water Horse.
Funny story from a couple weeks ago. We were getting about 9 eggs a day until I realized that a chicken wasn't laying in the coop. Here is the culprit - Sweetheart. She is my favorite because she is so pretty. She was able to fly over the fence and get out. A few times we found her in our neighbors yard (thankfully it is vacant at the moment). First I would look on the side of our house to see if she was laying on our trash pile. But when I would come outside and couldn't find her I would call her name and she would fly up on the wall and come home. One day I found an egg on the trash pile and so we would look over there to make sure that there wasn't an egg rotting. When the trash finally got taken away we discovered 14 eggs hiding there. Yep, she had been laying there and they would roll down to where we couldn't find them. Now that the trash is gone she is back to laying in the coop. I tried to catch her on the trash pile for this picture but she wasn't cooperating.

Now for the sad part of being a want-to-be chicken farmer. We lost our first Chicken on the 17th. It happened to be Patrick's birthday and so the kids thought that was very unfair. We think that it just got too hot. So that night after some birthday celebrating Patrick had to construct a misting system for the chickens. I tell you what, these Chickens keep getting more and more expensive. Needless to say if anyone wants to purchase eggs I sell them for $2 a dozen. Just trying to make up for their food cost and the pent house that they are living in. Here is a preview of our next family photo.

No comments: